Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Day 86

It is amazing. It's going by very quickly. I started at 98 and I am already at 86. This more than proves the point to myself as to why I started doing this in the first place. That is for a later date though.

I normally would not expose something I did for someone in such a manner, but it will provide a way to exemplify something I have come to learn. More to the point it is something I was taught very recently. I guess I considered it a small thing, but as a result of my actions got to realize it was bigger than that. For this I say thank you Mami and good luck Marlon.

Last Friday I presented a co-worker a gift. He is probably going to be out of work for some time as he is about to have a back surgery. I have been working with him for over three years now. That said I don't really see him often as he works on-site and I leave the branch on the daily. In my time of getting to talk with him and hang with him I just have picked up a few things from him. He brings a lil something to work that other people don't. He seems to have an attitude of no matter where I am at or what I am doing I am going to enjoy it somehow. I am going to laugh. I am going to talk. And people will know I was in the room. He is a true O.G. and a pimp for sure. Older gentleman, but you wouldn't believe it from seeing him or hanging round him for more than ten minutes. All in all I guess if I can just take a lil something away from him every day I think I will always be the better for it. I may never hang out with Marlon outside of work and depending on how things turn out I may never work with him again. I just had to do one thing for him just to say thanks.

I got him a T-shirt. Not much, but it just screamed him in a nutshell. It was a black shirt and had the words "Serious Pimp" across the front. I just wanted to say good luck and hope to see ya back round these parts soon. His reaction was priceless. He hugged me. Don't get too many hugs from people. He started showing the shirt off to other co-workers around. I was hoping to get him the gift and just kinda bolt out the door without making a big deal out of it, but it was too late. My man Marlon was already actin a fool like he does. I could see that he was genuinely touched by the gesture. And that's when I heard her voice in my head.

"It is always better to give than to receive."

Sure it had been said before, but it never really sunk in like it did that day and with her in my mind I know that's really why I did it in the first place. Cause now I was just like my mentor. I had fun. I smiled. I made myself memorable. And sometimes it's nice to have a human moment or connection with the others folks roaming round this big Earth. I may not do it as often as I should, but when I do I mean it.

In the end I just have to say thanks for the moment. I know I had nothing to do with it, cause I would have never really come up with it on my own without my positive influences. That's all for the day folks. Tired of my daily rants yet? Rabble Rock!

4 comments:

Mom said...

That was nice Rich. You touched his life and not to be too corny but I'm sure the next time he has the opportunity, he'll pay it forward, or maybe that is what you did. When you are sick and in the hospital you always know who your true friends are - the ones who come to see you. You made his day special by a simple gesture and it felt good. If that is the last time you ever see him, you knew you made him smile. Keep it up!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I'm not tired of your rants yet, so keep them coming...

It's nice to know that you've touched someone's life, isn't it? Makes you feel good. Too bad we're always too busy and into our own things to do it as often as we should.

npanth said...

Those are moments that I like. Somehow, surprising someone in a positive way feels good. You did something with no expectations, and it was appreciated. :)

Sharon said...

You may not do it as often as you think you should but as long as you mean it when you do it is what matters most.